Monday, January 30, 2006

Some not-so idle thoughts on idleness

Well I've been stranded from the internet again due to crappy Comcast service. Another irate email has been sent and the problem has been solved at least temporarily again. I've been thinking a lot about what I'm doing with my life these days. As much as I complain about classes and work I do have a certain amount of "free" time available to me. I remember hearing on the mission that you could tell a lot about a missionary from the way they spent preparation day. I daresay there is something to be said about people from the way they use their free time. Let me be painfully honest and say that I doubt anyone reading this has wasted more time on a consistent basis than I have. I'll admit I have an addiction to video games and cartoons.

Seriously, I mean I don't get the shakes when I haven't had a fix, but its still an addiction. I think it all goes back to the curfew of my younger years. Until halfway through my Sophomore year of high school my curfew was 6:oopm. Yeah, I know, laugh. I'd come home sometime between 6:00 and 6:30 depending on which of my parents were home and fire up the old pc. I never did homework, aside from major projects. As a result I had a ridiculous amount of time to play on my computer. I have to admit that all of those years has taken a bit of a toll on my creativity when it comes to free-time activities. I'm trying to figure out how to use all this time I suddenly have. Today it was all used up in FHE and homework. Admittedly, I did watch an episode of Smallville. I realized yesterday that I never make goals because I don't want to fail. What is failure though? I submit that failure is more due to apathy as much as ineptitude. I suppose that is the bitterest pill of all; I fail to reach goals, not because I can't but because I won't.

All of the talks in church yesterday were on goal setting and achieving. Certainly that's been an impetus for me, but the ideas have been there for much longer. So tomorrow I'll be taking some time to make goals and figure out how I'm going to achieve those goals. I already feel better.

6 comments:

Russ said...

Idleness is the mother of invention. Or something.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I disagree when it comes to you saying you waste more time on a consistant basis than myself, let it be known. I do miss having free time, but the few hours I do have I waste frivolously. I suspect this is not from having a curfew, because I didn't, but from going to bed at 8pm in high school because I was exhausted from Track practice and had more practice to look forward to in the morning. Thus I spent free time sleeping and relaxing. Some homework was done in this time, but I'll be honest...high school was too easy to require much effort in the way of discipline. The little I gained for college was established running, and the rest was motivated by my love of school. I really am the master procrastinator though, and I claim a right to that title. Wow Aaron, props to you for keeping that crazy curfew. No wonder we didn't see much of you in high school.

Something McSomethingkins said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Something McSomethingkins said...

So you should get after Clark on his blog Aaron. I'd get after him myself, but he seems to ignore his blog anyway.

Aaron said...

Yeah he does seem to neglect his brain-child. Going to bed at 8pm is pretty impressive in the world of sloth. Isn't running supposed to give you more energy? Considering my wasting of time began two hours earlier, I contest your claim to the title of master procrastinator.

Something McSomethingkins said...

My wasting of time for sure starts before yours possibly could right now at this point and time, though you may have held the title in high school. Thus I contest your contestation. And running does give you more energy, but I used that energy doing yet more running. It did make sleep better, and water taste better however.