Sunday, January 08, 2006

Ah the Eclectic Magic

Last semester my roommate Randy proposed and we carried out a masquerade. We provided plain masks and mask enhancing materials. It was sweet. This semester he has once again hatched a madcap plan. This semester's celebrations will feature a beatnik theme; think beginning of "So I Married an Axe-Murderer." We'll be distributing flyers ahead of time, but the gist of it is that people should come with a poem or story to read and that clapping will be replaced by snapping. That's the rough idea at this point though we'll probably embellish as we go along. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, because of the French influence on the beatniks we'll be eat cheeses, brie among them. This has reminded once again of my determination to create a writing club at BYU. I've given it some thought, but I haven't decided what kind of writing to do it for. Poetry comes to mind as perhaps the most casual and universal, but I don't know if that's what I really want to do. If I am going to put real effort into this I want it to succeed and be something I'll care about. The other concern I have with the club is whether or not enough people will come to make it worth it.

5 comments:

Ronnie said...

French influence? Masks? Sounds like what you want is a Mardi Gras party. For years I wanted to have a Mardi Gras parade down 600 N.

chrishley said...

were you at that open mic nite when Don did some beatnik poetry? I missed it. But I think he'd be proud of this current endeavor of yours. Kudos. Oh, and can I come?

frogkisser said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
frogkisser said...

Does one have to live, work, or attend school in Utah County to come, or are you guys a little more accepting than UCCU?

Aaron said...

The Beatnik experience, or whatever we decide to call it will be open to all. It would be a slide back into my elitist ways to announce such a gathering and then to say, "Oh and by the way, you're not invited." I'm sad I missed Don's exploits. The Cordells are good at keeping things interesting.