Thursday, December 29, 2005

Lighten up Elder Thompson

So, I just wrote and erased an entire post. Chalk it up to being tired physically and emotionally. It seems like little fragments of who I am or what I value are waging my own private war with my thoughts. Not an entirely uncommon experience, but not a pleasant one either. I guess most of it comes back in part to what my mission president told me, "Lighten up Elder Thompson." The significance of this is compounded when you consider that he told me this twice in a four month period. I think one of the challenges I've struggled with is deciding when to be happy. I know that sounds twisted or pathetic, but let me explain. To me, it all comes back to personal progress. I know I need to be happy with the progress that I make, that's easy. The hard part is deciding when to be happy with being imperfect. I guess I'm afraid that if I am happy with imperfection I won't work to become better. At the same time, I don't want to be some self-absorbed masochistic wreck. It seems like I end up on the later side more often than I'd like to admit. Usually I have something to conclude a post with that sort of sums things up. I guess I don't know how to sum this one up.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

...uh...and...

Russ said...

I can vouch for this one. I KNEW Eldste Brekkjern, and boy, he needed to loosen up a bit. Don't worry about beating yourself uptoo much though, the happiest people on earth are hypochondriac masochists- they always imagine themselves to be in pain and they LIKE it!

Aaron said...

The happiest people are hypochondriac masochists. Huh, I'll have to think about that one. It does reinforce my preconceived notions and I sure like those being reinforced.

frogkisser said...

I totally just wrote a deep and profound comment and my browser shut down. I guess you just aren't meant to know what I think about you lightening up!:)