Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Beast that is Bio 100

I just got out of my Keys to Scripture Study final a few minutes ago. For once I think I actually came close to being prepared. I probably got an 80-85% on it, which is great for me considering it was largely memorization based, and I hate memorization. Now I have a final at 5:45pm, a scant 45 minutes after my previous final. I don't think this one should be too bad though. A large portion of the class itself has been based off of being able to use reason and analysis. I don't think it should be a problem. I will be extra careful though since I blew off one of the rather weighty assignments a few weeks ago. Either way I'm not too worried about it. So I have to say that finals for this semester have gone really well. The only one I have left after this is Biology. Oh Biology 100, how I hate thee so. Would that academia had not nurtured you in her womb, and created such a foul beast to torment the dreams of apathetic youth. What horrors lay inside the body? Who knows truly but Deity himself? Indeed who else needs to know? The inner workings of man must needs remain a mystery lest presently there is no more mystery left to life. What then compatriots? Shall we run amok seeking to unknow the tragic truth that has come upon us? What could make us unhappier than to know ourselves? In truth there is a level of familiarity, or self-knowledge, which stands prerequisite to our happiness. However, there is a boundary across which no man may cross and find himself a happy creature. Amongst the noble quests in life is to know oneself. But we cannot know ourselves in terms so course and base as these! Think, I pray thee, upon how the countenance of a child should fall if he were told the lie that he is nothing more than a collection of fleshy machinery. To imagine such a life is to imagine a fate far worse than death, it is to know ourselves as undead, a creation with no soul, with no fire of the heart. Biology 100 your death will not come swiftly enough for my soul. When it is dead, then may I rest, sleep and forget the peril.

10 comments:

Kim said...

I HATE BIO 100!!! I just walked in there today and took the test without an ounce of studying. Good luck.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I loved Biology. O that I could take it again.

Heather said...

See now, if one is a biology major, one does not have to take Bio 100. There are many other far superior basic bio classes to choose from. I for example took McBio 130, and enjoyed 3 simple tests, one one-page paper, and a final. Now you are all jealous you non-biology related majors.

Aaron said...

Well I would be jealous if you didn't have to then continue taking biology classes. Physics makes a lot more logical sense to me than Biology. Usually with Physics I can reason my way to a pretty good guess. To me it seems like you know a biology question or you don't.

Heather said...

That's not necessarily true, of course you'd have to make it into upper level biology classes to figure that out. Take physiology, for example, everything is about numbers and figures, as well as awesome charts, that are run-down versions of the human body. Personally I can't see how anyone wouldn't be interested in the human body... Oh, I see you would like it to remain a mystery to you. I'll just go share this information (the "mysteries of God" if you will) with other people now then. Okay.

Something McSomethingkins said...

Both Anatomy and Physiology are excellent fun. I for one wish I could be a science major only with the biology courses, as opposed to all the chemistry classes I have to take as well. They're okay, but time consuming and less effortless.

Aaron said...

I guess I have less interest in how people tick in a biological or physical sense than I do in how they tick in the mental or emotion sense.

Aaron said...

I handed in my Biology final feeling pretty confident that I had done well. When my test finally came up that illusion was dashed to pieces, small ones. I got a 62%. I was, needless to say, none to pleased, but at least I'm done with it.

frogkisser said...

This is why everyone needs to change their major to Recreational Therapy. You get to take fun classes like Human Behavior Leisure and Development and Gerontology. Much better than silly Biology and Chemistry classes!

Something McSomethingkins said...

Nonsense.