Friday, December 23, 2005

Life, Death and the directions

There have been more than a few things lately that have got me thinking. Yesterday, or technically two days ago I went to the funeral for the father of a high school friend. Her father died of cancer. He was diagnosed in May of this year. Some of you know and some don't, my own father has leukemia. He was diagnosed in July of this year. It's been far more difficult for both of my parents to deal with than I had imagined. I am not real sure how I feel about the whole thing. When we drove up to the cemetery I noticed that it was on a dead end. What a comfort to realize that there are no dead ends in the eternal scheme of things. In the words of Semisonic, though they probably ripped them off, "every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end." The one real constant with life seems to be change. As soon as we feel like we have one thing figured out it seems like we're hit by another. It's funny though (which of course means it's not funny ha ha, but funny hmmm) people try to map out their lives, but isn't that like drawing a map of a place you've never been before? I think when all is said and done the most important thing is to have a direction to go and things to do along the way. For my dad I think the direction has always been from selfishness to unselfishness and the good things along the ways has been helping people, almost invariably expecting and receiving little in return. I think my own life has been a somewhat different direction. For me life has always been about moving from ignorance to understanding. The good things along the way part could use some work. In the last few weeks I've really come to appreciate the value of even small acts of kindness for others. Now, I just need to figure out how to perform such service more naturally; I hate when I feel like I'm faking being good, if that makes any sense. Being fake-good leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

5 comments:

Russ said...

You are so great. I appreciate the insight into your mind. Although potentially frightening, it generally prompts me to sit and think awhile. Thanks.

Aaron said...

Maybe that could be one of the good things I do: making people think. Not to be too negative, but I think most people could do with a little more time to sit and think.

Angie said...

You make me sad. Yep. I cried when I read your blog. I'm very emotional. I, too, think it's the little things that count. It's the spontaneity of life that means so much to us later. I fell in love with this quote the first time I read it and I'll never forget it, "We don't remember days, we remember moments".

frogkisser said...

Making Ugly Duckling cry isn't the hardest thing to do..... I am pretty sure she cried during an american express ad a couple weeks ago.

Angie said...

I did not! It was an ad for chase bank...and it was precious.