Sunday, November 13, 2005

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

So a few conversations later I have a solution to my major/life/dream-dashing-rocks-problem. I become what I have long feared. Yes, an English major. I know what you're thinking, but yes I'm actually serious and yes I realize I may have to live on the streets. I'm not trying to be a writer or something similarly idealistic, but an editor. Being an editor has two strong attractions I just can't pass up:

1. Reading is a major part of the job
2. The other half is telling people my way is better

At this point many of you are wondering, "Gee, that sure sounds swell. How come I never hear of people becoming editors?" The answer is of course that editors are a secret society only loosely associated with the Humanities department. You see, the course catalog lists editing as a minor for English. Well my informant on the inside has let me know this is merely a clever ruse. In all reality editing is pretty much a regular, respectable emphasis; they just don't go blabbing about it. Given how valuable the jobs are in the field I can understand why. Where else can you get people to pay you for your opinion? In fact the more you insult their work the more they assume you know what you're doing.

9 comments:

Ronnie said...

You could always join the dark side and go to law school. Reading and Writing are the most important aspects of the legal career.

Russ said...

Not to mention selling your soul to Siegfried and/or Jensen.

Aaron said...

If I go to law school I can guarantee I won't like what I'm writing or editing. At least, if I stay out of law school there's some possibility my subject matter will be interesting. That and I won't be stuck in school my whole life. Plus, if President Faust can say "For twenty-two years and until last Thursday morning I have been a lawyer, and since then I have been trying to repent." I'm just too lazy to repent that much.

frogkisser said...

What is the first rule of Editor's Club?! Don't talk about Editor's Club!!! Be prepared to face the consequences.

Heidi said...

I thought about becoming an editor once. I love to read and I'm really good at picking out mistakes and such. But then I realized there is so much writing that has to be done in that major that I decided I didn't want to do it THAT much.

Russ said...

I recommend that to start out your career you should go onto all your friends' blogs and leave grammatical corrections as comments to their posts. I'm sure they would appreciate your enthusiasm for your new-found profession.

Aaron said...

Actually, I have done that once already. I've also noticed lately two typos in the Deseret Morning News and two more in Ender's Game. It really is surprising how many typos make it to print.

frogkisser said...

Yeah... thanks for that. In my defense, the correction you made on my blog wasn't my fault. I just copied and pasted the phrase that you found a typo in. I guess that just makes me a bad proofreader.

Clark said...

tiepohs? whoo maickes thoz?