Saturday, November 19, 2005

The death of creativity

Every once in a while some new term will be adopted to replace cool for a while. Far out, groovy, wicked and rad have all had their moments in the sun. However, it seems the term props has spawned no next of kin for a new generation to adopt. So I'm just wondering is everyone fresh out of props? Have props become illegal? Perhaps an asteroid hit the props convention. I must say I for one miss the days of props granting. We don't even have a new phrase for mad skills. Are we just not imaginative enough anymore. My guess is that all enthusiasm for creating spiffy new words and phrases was killed by one man: George Lucas. Honestly I'm not convinced that "wizard" was ever cool a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. At least he had the sense not to use the word repeatedly. Too bad he didn't take the same line with Jar Jar. It was kind of nice he implicated Jar Jar in the election of Palpatine and therefore the destruction of the galaxy. Anyway, that's a tangent. Where are our Shakespeares to create new words? Where, where indeed?

5 comments:

Ronnie said...

Do you really like the book, "Moby Dick"? I read it a couple years ago and I consider myself somewhat of a literary connesueur (even though I'm not sure how to spell that word), and I just didn't get it. Out of 500 pages, 450 of them talked about body parts of a whale. Could you please post something about why that book is supposedly so good.

Aaron said...

My older brother read Moby Dick to me when I was growing up so I guess that's one reason. As far as whale content goes there is a chapter entirely devoted to types of whales that I pretty much skip. I think the words are pretty fun too. Squitchy, torpid, circummambulate (think circumnavigate but walking) are a few of the interesting words. I guess mainly though I like the insane Captain Ahab. It's been a while since I read it so that is all that sticks out at the moment. The language is rather old, but I like some of the old styles, a little reminiscent of Shakespeare.

be said...

Aaron, that was a fjeofia post. I grant you mad eutoia.

Aaron said...

That's pretty high praise Bryant since, to my knowledge, no one has ever earned eutoia let alone mad eutoia.

frogkisser said...

Why don't you come up with a phrase? I'd sure as heck say it! Are you guys still coming over for Thanksgiving?