Sunday, March 05, 2006

Pandering to the Masses

Being an astute observer of cartoons I've come to love a variety of shows that both well-written and entertaining. The best of the best as far as I'm concerned is as follows:

1. Teen Titans
2. Invader Zim
3. The Tick
4. Big Guy and Rusty
5. Batman Beyond

Aside from being high-quality however there is one other common thread connecting these shows. They've all been canceled. I'm appalled when I consider that, in contrast, Power Rangers still lives on in some form to this day after some twenty different variations. The irony is that the title of the show (lightspeed monkey force to ultra rescue people) changes more often than the plot of the individual episodes. If you've seen one episode you've seen them all. You'd think with all the monster attacks the city would start to look the worse for wear, but they must have some killer construction crews. The hardest part of the writing is probably deciding what to name the monster. I mean the name Obliveron sends a totally different message from Decimax. We all know that the public school system has been failing for some time now. I turned to cartoons to compensate, but where will the rising generation turn? Spongebob? I really hope not. It just goes to show that the masses will support crapulence they know and understand over genius they don't. I just barely found out that Teen Titans was canceled. I'm very disappointed with the viewing public.

4 comments:

Ronnie said...

I think TMNT is still on.

Aaron said...

Yes and no I'm afraid. It's on but it's a remake where they have changed a good deal of story line. I mean Baxter Stockman is essentially a robot rather than the freakish fly creature I grew up with.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I rather enjoy "Invader Zim." I also was a huge fan of "The Tick" growing up. It's sad that Saturday Morning Cartoons have fallen so far. Then again, I'm not entirely opposed to Spongebob, but I would not watch it on a daily basis either. That said, I can't not like "Dexter's Laboratory."

Aaron said...

Spongebob is funny, but I'm pretty sure it melts your brain. I can't watch more than five minutes at a time.