Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A Taste of My Taste

Between three months at an insurance company, three at an engineering supply place, and four or five at the BYU I have had copious amounts of time to listen to music. Each of these jobs has been mindless enough that they allowed me to listen to music while I worked. In the summer alone, I was working full time so that meant eight hours of music a day five days a week for a few months. Early on my good friend Brett informed me of Yahoo's music services. I tried the free trial of their launchcast radio and quickly became hooked. At first it was slow going getting my "personal" radio station fine tuned. Over the months though, I've been pleased to come across quite a few new bands that I enjoy immensely. As a public service, I will list my top three favorite new bands, a few of the songs I like the most, and what they have to offer.

  1. The All-American Rejects: "Move Along," "Swing, Swing," and "Your Star" Emo/Indie band with some good lyrics and upbeat rhythms. Both of their cds are high quality.
  2. Death Cab For Cutie: "Crooked Teeth," "Marching Bands of Manhattan," and "The Sound of Settling" Soothing melodies and clever song lyrics. Features the former lead singer of The Postal Service. Transatlanticism and their latest cd Plans are my favorite albums.
  3. Snow Patrol: "How to Be Dead," "Chocolate," and "Spitting Games" Another classic "Run" was recently posted on Provo Platinum, which in no small part inspired this post. Emotion charged vocals and hypnotic beats of pure goodness.
  4. Guster: "Fa Fa," "Two Points for Honesty," and "So Long" I heard "Fa Fa" years ago and the chorus was forever popping into my head, but I didn't know the song or band name. Thanks to James who reintroduced me to the glory of Guster. Very catchy and singable, (yes, that's a word now) the songs have some noteworthy ideas.

So originally this was going to be a list of five bands, but it occurs to me that it is now one in the morning and I want to sleep. Perhaps this wasn't the best time to post. In any event for what it's worth here are some songs I recommend. I'm sure you can listen to them somewhere, somehow. They're worth the effort.

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Hmm so the spacing doesn't look like that when I look at editing the post, but oh well. I also noticed my yellows aren't exactly the same. But it's good enough since it's late enough.

Aaron said...

Okay I fixed some things so the above comment makes no sense.

frogkisser said...

I quite enjoy all of those bands. There are a few missing however. This is my current list of 5 bands/singers that are played most on my ipod:
1- Ben Folds, and sometimes his 5: I don't know what it is, but I have been listening to him like crazy. I think I have 12 cd's and ep's of his (their) on my ipod.
2- The Fray: I don't have a full cd yet, but I love what I have!
3- Augustana: I got hooked on this band when I saw them a few weeks ago with Switchfoot. Sadly, you missed them.
4- Travis: The song "Flowers in the Window" makes my soul happy.
5- The Wallflowers: Jakob Dylan's voice makes me swoon.

Aaron said...

I also enjoy the Fray. I might have added them to my list were I not already so tired last night. I've heard a little bit from Augustana that was alright.

Heidi said...

I like Snow Patrol but I don't really know the other ones that well. Not too big on Deathcab for Cutie though. Paige and I have very similar taste in music. I really like Ben Folds and Travis and what I've heard of Augustana.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I currently have 3 of the 4 on my ipod. However, I'm pretty sure that the lead singer of Death Cab for Cutie is not the former (a word which I'd underline if I could) lead singer of the Postal Service. I'm pretty sure that Death Cab existed both before and after the Postal Service, and that they're both still going strong...simultaneously.