Saturday, October 15, 2005

We all wear masks, some figurative some literal....maybe clown care?

So last night my roommates and I had yes, a masquerade. I type now in front of a wall with assorted masks dotting its surface like bizarre hunting trophies. I have to say that it was one of the best little social gatherings I've been a part of for the last while. Everyone was included in activities and conversation, everyone enjoyed themselves. It's events like this that help me remember why I still have hope for humanity. Okay, so that sounds overly dramatic. The point being that I suppose there are some social gatherings that actually work. So someone brought up the idea that we all wear masks to hide who are to some extent. I guess this is a sort of defense mechanism. We don't want to open up to people until we know what they are like, but someone has to give in first for conversation to ensue. I think we've all been in conversations where questions are met with one or two word responses. Personally I think this is rather rude as it shows no real consideration for the question the other person has asked. On the other hand, how many times do we ask the same questions of new people? Here in happy valley it seems hometown, time at BYU and major are the most popular subjects. The strange thing is, personally, I don't think where someone is from is incredibly interesting as a general rule. I'm not saying I haven't used these questions before but aren't "What's your favorite book?" or "What nicknames do you have?" more interesting? It's odd that questions are usually so limited in scope. I guess what I'm saying is why not ask questions that you actually want answers to? Doesn't that make more sense? Just think how much material for conversation a good question has. "What were your childhood dreams?" for instance could be fun. For me, I would say professional soccer star, artist, and inventor. I'm not really interested in any of that now, but those dreams did play a big part of my childhood and ultimately in who I am now. Besides it's nice to be nice.

No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted.

~Aesop


1 comments:

Heidi said...

I think you have a point. So often we just go through the motions of being nice that we forget we actually SHOULD be nice. Nobody wants to answer questions they don't think you really want an answer to. If someone asks a question they should actually want an answer. Not just going through the motions that we all go through sometimes out of politeness.