Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The futility of social activity...yes a rant

Admittedly, I am not a particularly social person by nature. This is something I have been working on with arguably mixed results. Part of the problem as I see it, is that social activities don't really introduce you to other people as a general rule. I mean really think about the last time you went to something like a dance where there were loads and loads of people to meet. Did you tell your friends, "Catch you later, I need to talk to strangers"? Somehow I doubt it. The only time we actually meet a new person at such a gathering is through a mutual friend and really what are the chances of meeting them again? Okay, so admittedly people have been known to strike up conversations with a total stranger. However, I've experimented with this a little and found people find this unnerving. One day I was walking home and started talking to a girl who was walking the same way. She was less than enthusiastic and seemed to be considering breaking into a dead run. Now there are always exceptions to such things I'm sure but it somehow doesn't really seem worth it, somewhat akin to the lottery ticket. I think my luck with social situations is about to change though. I got a fortune cookie a week ago that says "You will be advanced socially, without any special effort on your part." Without any special effort....I've wondered if that means it will just take effort but not special effort. Either way it is about my only shot at social progress.

3 comments:

Mantis said...

I get it...however...

the chance of meeting new people drops quite dramatically (plummets, one might say) when you stay home from the dance and sit on your couch watching tv.

Enjoy the journey and sometimes the destination takes care of itself.

Aaron said...

This is true. I guess, what I am saying is that meeting new people is challenging. What I should have added, I suppose, was that despite the difficulty of meeting new people we still have to try since the alternative is not to try at all, which of course guarantees failure.

Mantis said...

Good call. And, ultimately, I don't think it's meeting new people that's hard. It's finding a way to create a need for yourself in their lives so you have a reason to get past the small talk and become friends. Now THAT is a challenge.