Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Job and the People

This last week with my class has been an eye opening experience. The guys that I work with have seen a great deal of ugliness in their lives. Whoever hasn't seen any nastiness in life has had their eyes and ears shut mighty tight. They probably know as few people do, the horrors that people can inflict on one another. Despite all of these experiences, or rather in part because of them, these guys are some of the most hopeful people I know.

Don't misunderstand, they don't walk around with bright happy faces all the time. Most of the time I see them go through the normal range of emotion that we all do. But, I think of how hard it is for most people to just manage being happy with relatively "normal" lives and I marvel at how these guys cope. Going into the job, I was worried about how much of a disciplinarian I was going to have to be. So far, everything has been much better than I worried it might be. I really like the guys and, if I'm not mistaken, they seem to appreciate me.

It's taken me a long time to really comprehend one simple principle: In life, people are what matter most. The challenges that these guys face come from some disconnect where they don't interact with other people in the best manner. I once stabbed a friend of mine in the arm with a pencil and have spent a large portion of my life in self-induced social isolation, so I'm not real sure how I'm supposed to help them with social skills. I have to say, it's nice having a job I care about for once.

7 comments:

Brett said...

And yet, he's still your friend...though embellishing the story is so much fun :)

But yeah, having worked in adult education with dropouts and whatever other reasons, I can relate. At least this way you can't say your job is mundane and boring.

Aaron said...

Umm "he's" still my friend? I wasn't thinking of a he. I once jabbed you with a pen lid, but that's totally different.

Something McSomethingkins said...

You stabbed me in the hand actually, and I'm definitely a "she." But that was the second grade dude, and you really shouldn't be so hard on yourself:)

Although, if you also stabbed someone with a pen lid you might have a problem Aaron.

Angie said...

I can relate to you on this. I work with a lot of E.D. kids. One in particular has haunted me... I shutter at the stories I've been told about his life. He is on his second pair of abusive parents and he still finds something to smile about everyday. He's naughty, of course and he has definite issues but I don't think I could even LIVE through what he's been through. It's amazing how strong he is for an eleven-year-old.

Something McSomethingkins said...

So I can't go hiking and all of that with you guys this weekend. Turns out my niece is getting married. Go figure.

Aaron said...

Eh, it turns out we're not going this weekend anyways.

Something McSomethingkins said...

Funny that it seems you check your blog pretty frequently, and yet there is still this amazingly old post at the top of it.