Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Pound of Flesh for Your Thoughts

I've had the same conversation a number of times in the past week or so. I'll ask what someone is doing in the summer, to which they will answer: school, work, both, etc. In polite response the question will be asked of me. Somewhat hesitantly, because it's not really the stuff of normal conversation I'll answer that I'm donating a kidney to my sister-in-law and I'll be off school and work to recover for three to eight weeks. I found out that I was a match a week or two back. Since then Angie (my sister-in-law) has had another stroke caused by high blood pressure from dialysis and stress. Of necessity this has accelerated the process of donation. On Thursday I'll go in for another round of tests, after which I'll be given tests followed by more tests. The operation itself is, to my knowledge, happening some time in the next week or so provided things go well.

The thought of several weeks of rather limited mobility, I must admit, is less than pleasant. Angie has had problems with her kidneys for a long time; this will be her second transplant. Right now she's still in the hospital from the second stroke. No permanent damage was done, but she's still working on normal consciousness; it comes and goes for the moment. I was over at my parent’s house for Father's Day and my nephew Logan said the prayer for dinner. He said "Please bless Mommy so she can come home and we can be a family again." My dad is still shaking off leukemia from a year ago, though he's started working part days. Thinking about this makes it pretty hard to take self-pitying thoughts seriously. Sure my job is crappy and I can't seem to fix a few things in my life, but what do I have to complain about? Albert Einstein said "Only a life lived for others is worth living." I hope that this experience will help me learn, at least in part, how to live that way. Being uncomfortable for a few weeks may not be much, but I hope it will be something like the widow's mite for me and my selfishness.

5 comments:

frogkisser said...

I am pretty sure that you can still have some self-pitying thoughts. I think that what you are doing is awesome, and I hope it all goes well! Are you going to be recovering in Provo or SoJo?

Aaron said...

Some of both, the first bit will be in SoJo. Once I have a bit more mobility, I'll be back in Provo.

Brett said...

I'm glad to hear your dad's doing well. And, of course, hopefully things go well for you and Angie in the next few weeks. Besides, who needs extra organs? They just take up space!

When you go in, I'd better be the first to know :)

Something McSomethingkins said...

Wow, I'm so glad you're actually a match. That's pretty miraculous in and of itself.

As for the lack of mobility, we'll still come and visit you. Of course, if you don't want us to come visit you, you'll have no way of escaping us.

frogkisser said...

Very good point mcsomethingkins. He will not be able to escape. Mwuah hah hah.