Friday, June 02, 2006

Introspective Insomnia

I've had a couple of little ideas for things that I could post about, but nothing really big. Since I don't feel like sleeping now I'll see what I can make out of them on the fly. Think of it as one of those "Our powers combined..." sort of moments, except that I have always hated Captain Planet. Seriously, what were they thinking when they gave a guy the power of heart? I'm pretty sure the whole idea stems from some writer's insecurities. Maybe he didn't get enough love as a kid. Anyway, Captain Planet bashing aside here's what I've been thinking about:

1.College is expensive
2.Dating is hopeless
3.I need a new job

I had been planning on taking summer classes, but I really don't think I can afford to. I already have too much debt and too little to show for it. No I'll be working full time during the summer, and who knows, maybe even fall semester. This brings me to my third point. I haven't forgotten the second one, but one and three are connected so play along. I've determined that my job at the library is not at all providing what I need. It's in no way, shape, or form challenging on any level. It benefits society slightly less than warning labels on toothpicks and yields marginal financial returns. Plus my schedule is too flexible, now for many people this would be a plus, but for me it's a big negative. This stems from the fact that I'm lazy so I put off work because I know I don't absolutely have to go into work.

Okay, points one and three out of the way, on to two. I was reading in Proverbs the other day when I came across 13:12 "Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life." I'm not entirely sure I understand what the verse is saying. It could mean that when we defer or put off having hope that we feel heartsick, but when what we hope for happens we'll be happy. If this is the case I don't get the big message here. I mean obviously we'll be happy when what we've been waiting for happens; no surprise there. But what does it mean to put off hoping? Does that mean we hope for something, but we need to be patient for it to happen? Does it mean we have to hope because if we don't we'll feel even worse?

My guess is that it means the latter. I suppose it makes sense with the adage "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." Sounds like one of those "wintry doctrines" Elder Maxwell talked about if you ask me.

If someone figures out a shortcut to enlightenment and inner peace let me know.

3 comments:

Something McSomethingkins said...

I'm surprised no one on that show got the power of gay.

What happened to living and working in Norway over the summer?

I've always wanted to work at a library. Or book store. Anywhere with books really.

Something McSomethingkins said...

Hope's a funny thing. And very important when it comes to motivation. I can see the lack of it stunting our spiritual development. On the other hand, if we're constantly hoping to become better, we're in a ready state when righteous desires come to us and that pushes us to reach our true potential.

I guess the great thing about living scriptures is that the words mean more things than we'll ever be able to see at one time.

Brett said...

I know how much you like quotes, so here's one: “Hope is the dream of a soul awake.” To tie your last post to this one, it's one thing to hope for something, and another completely to act on it, no matter the risk involved.

In my own opinion, too much emphasis is placed on dating here in Utah (and probably more so in happy valley!). I personally think that too many opportunities for life and friends are lost because of the unwritten, undermined philosophy of dating. If you do what you should and are happier doing it, then things will fall into place in their due time.

Whenever I here that adage, I can't help but think of MIB's line "try it" :)