Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Concerts and a special brand of insanity

I am, as my profile attests, a big fan of Jimmy Eat World. In fact today I just purchased the Futures album. Mmmm musical goodness. I mean how can you not like a band with lyrics like these: "I'm not alone cause the TV's on yeah. I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills everyday." These lines come aptly from a song entitled Bleed American. If you don't know why that's fitting then I really can't help you. Okay so I could, but I don't help your kind. So given my predisposition to the music of J.E.W (are they trying to tell us something) I thought twenty bucks was a good deal to see them perform live. Such was not the case. I went to the concert with the intent to listen to Jimmy Eat World. Apparently, people don't go to concerts to listen to a band. As I observed it people were primarily involved in sneaking onto the floor, talking or rather shouting to their friends, or simply creating noise in one unintelligent form or another. Somehow it seems counterintuitive to make a lot of noise during your "favorite" songs since your own incoherent utterances would impede you from hearing the music. Perhaps, I am more sensitive to this as I am very attentive to lyrics. In the end, I've decided I'm better off to use my twenty bucks on a cd. No masses of crazed fans, no distractions, no insanity.

2 comments:

frogkisser said...

Some bands sound so much better live than recorded. However, there are a few that sound terrible. I think that it's an example of a place where technology has gone too far.....

Anonymous said...

Aaron, you have stumbled upon what we call the "poseur fan." Stay away from the dreaded poseur fan, they will only kill the music for you.
PS Catherine's favorite song on that album is "Get it Faster." Camille likes "The Middle" but feels that it is overplayed thusly drawing in the poseur fan. She therefore cannot enjoy it as she used to.