Sunday, November 05, 2006

Uncharacteristically Hopeful

I've thought for some time about doing some serious writing, but I've had some real doubts. There has always seemed to me something mysterious about books, or rather authors. So much of what I've read is brilliant. Reading those books, so well written that it seems effortless has perhaps elevated the nature of an author in my mind. I've had this misguided little image of someone sitting down to write and spinning literary gold at will. I've heard plenty of things said to the contrary, but none of that has really sunken in. Maybe it's one of those childish dreams or ideas that have been with you so long you want it stay true. It occurs to me that sounds an awful lot like some allusion to a personal apostasy, but it isn't.

I think what finally disillusioned me was the last story I wrote for my creative writing class. It couldn't be more than 750 words, about a page and a half. I spent somewhere between seven and eight hours on it. I guess in actuality I spent two or three hours of that on a different story and decided I didn't like it. Regardless I spent several hours awkwardly attempting to form a coherent little story. As my deadline approached I was panicked. I made a major change in storyline all of twenty minutes before it needed to be turned in. I hastily applied my changes and turned it in with a lingering sense of disquiet.

I debated going to class the next week because I was sure I'd get my paper back with a C or D, a frowny (frownie, it's not really a word) face and comments to match. I went anyway. Part way through class, my teacher talked about how we did on the paper as a class and complimented me with how I introduced details in my story. I was taken aback honestly. He doesn't give out much praise, maybe one compliment per class, which means weekly. I ended up getting a 54/60 on it, the highest grade in the class. When I got my paper back several spots had been marked with "you lost me here." So I didn't exactly nail the thing, but I did at least do something right. All in all I'm feeling a lot more confident that with some work I can manage this writing thing.

8 comments:

Something McSomethingkins said...

You're a great writer Aaron. I liked that bit about "spinning literary gold." Very true. I'd totally read something written by you.

And then I'd have you sign it.

Aaron said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll see if I can get my next story done in time to post for "peer review."

Anonymous said...

MepKeeriMub

[url=http://healthplusrx.com/obesity]obesity[/url] CamyElili

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at squitchy.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Thanks,
Daniel

Anonymous said...

ï»?Lil Wayne ? I know The clear rules and statistics probably make the presentation useful enough to be shared with others readers It feels joyful!I know it is counter intuitive to start with the me question first when thinking about being of service Anthony Fasano - Mia = @NE24"The girls who Justin Bieber likes? That should be an easy one[url=http://www.WesWelkerJersey.net]Wes Welker Jersey[/url]
where Gomez is comfortably situated as the one and only—for now[url=http://www.AndrewLuckJerseynike.com]Andrew Luck Authentic Jersey[/url]
at least!Has Reggie Bush already weighed in on Kanye West and Kim Kardashian's relationship?In February of this year[url=http://www.HowieLongJersey.com]Howie Long Jersey[/url]
Kim and Reggie were spotted having lunch together[url=http://www.JoeMontanaJersey.com]www.JoeMontanaJersey.com[/url]
sparking rumors that they might be reuniting You can watch this match up from home with your family if you don't have enough time to visit the stadium[url=http://www.officialbearsjerseysstore.com]Brian Urlacher Jersey[/url]
Just turn on your pc/laptop then watch the game from your PC or laptop
ï»?If there is insert statement where column names are not specified the order of column will create issue[url=http://www.VincentJacksonJersey.com]Vincent Jackson Authentic Jersey[/url]
this case demonstrate lazy developer and inappropriate coding style Her appearance is of an obese purple-skinned[url=http://www.JaredAllenJersey.net]Jared Allen Womens Jersey[/url]
white-haired female human with a facial mole[url=http://www.TorreySmithJersey.net]Torrey Smith Authentic Jersey[/url]
but from the waist down she has six black tentaclesAcademy Award nomination: Best Film Editing Director: Robert Aldrich Review: ""Aslan" or "Arslan (Ottoman) is the Turkish and Mongolian word for "lion"png) no-repeat;padding: 20px;} I will try to tell them all roughly in order of their execution during the move

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ciproxin.webs.com/]buy cipro[/url] ciprofloxacin to buy no prescription
cipro buy
ciprofloxacin tablets buy

Anonymous said...

[url=http://casodex-bicalutamide.webs.com/]kaufen Bicalutamide
[/url] purchase Casodex
Bikalard
Bilumide

Anonymous said...

[url=http://longchampsoldesk.page.tl/]sac longchamp[/url] You will want the colors to match the color scheme of your wedding. For instance, if the Noble and Fashion Women Mulberry Medium Bayswater Leather Tote Bag Black,reasonable price in Mulberry Factory Shop. wedding colors are white and red, then concentrate on getting candy sporting these colors alone. Get as many variations and flavors you can find to create diversity..
[url=http://longchamppaschers.moonfruit.com/#/blog/4573986000]sacs longchamps[/url] We usually go to our local Dollar Stores or check a store's kids toys section for ideas. You can put anything in your grab bags. Anything ranging from funny or absurd to awesome or cool. Individuals taking prescription or other herbal diuretics, however, should not consume dandelion tea, as it may cause dehydration. It should not be used as a substitute for Mulberry is an English brand name that has been around for over one hundred years. Every fashion woman is sure to love a great handbag.Highly Appreciated Mulberry Women's Smaller Bayswater Leather Shoulder Black Bag is stylish, exquisite design. professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation.
[url=http://longchampsoldesa.webs.com/]sacs longchamp[/url] What do you look out in a designer handbag when out buying it for daily use? Firstly, it should certainly be of a high quality which is most important for a single bag. Another factor you did like to consider is its looks. It has to be chic as you are to carry it with you for day long.. This year exhibition on display at the PMA show this year in February the United States in many digital cameras on the launch of new products, such as the Canon EOS30D digital SLR cameras, IXUS800IS stylish Buy soft leather Mulberry Women's Bayswater Leather Satchel Black Bag at auction has come to the stage of a pack new flagship model; Nikon CooIpixp3/p4 wireless transmission of practical and stylish card-based S5/S6; Sony DSC-H5 type high-end 12 times the long zoom, DSC-W50 in the thin client; Olympus E-3304 / 3 type digital SLR cameras, 810 types and shockproof, dustproof, waterproof 3 anti functions 720SW type; Samsung's ultra-thin fashion i series card machine; Casio's Z850 model and so on. Canon, Nikon, Olympus and other digital SLR camera production showcasing the full range of digital SLR cameras, Sony has also announced the coming of digital SLR cameras, named as " " brand products will be launched this summer. For more, please visit car key blanks today!..